The headquarters of the German state railway at Museumstraße 1 were finished on October 1, 1895 and subsequently moved into. Three years later the “new” Altona train station, a building made out of red brick on the opposite side of the square, became operational. While the train station was demolished in the 1970´s and was replaced by a big department store building, the railway headquarters (administrative building of Deutsche Bahn) remained intact. The attic, which was destroyed during the war, later received a split-level floor. In the 1930s a administrative building was added to the ensemble, which today is under urban heritage protection.
Pictorial material: © Altonaer Stadtarchiv